User Profile
I was diagnosed with a very small umbilical hernia on Wednesday. The day I discovered it, the sight was tender to the touch. The pain was reduced the next day but I touched and poked and squeezed it a lot trying to figure out what it was. I then went to the doctor where she pressed hard on it to diagnose and reduce it. It seems it's stayed mostly reduced since then. I had been having bad bloating since that until yesterday when it started to subside. I finally felt like eating normally yesterday so had fairly normal sized meals. I also was at an amusement park with me family walking a lot. I felt fine until later in the afternoon when I started to get a sharp gas pain feeling right at the sight of the hernia. It still feels like it's stayed reduced since my doctor pushed it back in. The pain was right above my belly button inside. It got worse over the next few hours and in the middle of the night.I could feel it as gas traveled through my belly and produce the pain by pressing on the right side of my abdomen, which felt like it was moving the pressure to that spot. I don't actually feel much tenderness if I press lightly on my belly button, this feels like a pain inside like gas pains but only on that one specific spot. It has subsided mostly this morning, I supposed since digesting over night and passing much of the gas in my belly, but I do get a twinge now and then.

What could cause this? Could it be a sign of damage to that spot of my intestines? Or if it was just the fatty today tissue that was protruding, could that being inflamed cause this pain as food and air were passing through? I had a normal bowel movement yesterday morning. None yet today, but that's not out of the ordinary.

I think I've had this hernia for a while but I've never had this kind of pain with it before messing around with the area.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2018
Abdominal Pain Answer A64262
Since you are having normal bowel movements , it is unlikely that the hernia is causing any form of obstruction or related complications.

A ultrasound may be done to confirm the contents of the hernia.. if there are any doubts.

The pain in the belly, sounds like gastritis.. it would be best to get it evaluated by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.