Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Abdominal pain in upper right side

User Profile
I had the dye test and my gallbladder is functioning at 14% - my pain is on my left side so my doctor isn't sure that is what is causing the pain. Have you heard of people with pain on left sid?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
General Q and A Answer A9103

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Right sided upper abdominal pain can be due to peptic ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, pancreatic causes, cardiac causes, kidney stones, pneumonia, musculoskeletal pain, lower rib fracture and malignancy.

Irritation of the nerves supplying this area can also cause pain. Irritation can be due to nerve compression or pinching due to any spine related pathology. In females, ovarian cysts can also cause pain in the abdomen usually in the lower part but it can be a referred pain in the upper abdomen also. So ovarian cysts also have to be ruled out. Confirmation can be done only after an ultrasound or a CT of the abdomen. Blood tests and an upper GI endoscopy may also be required in certain cases.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.