Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Abdominal pain caused by the ischiadic nerve

User Profile
Since my pain is mainly on the left-side, starting under the ribs, radiating towards the back and down to my leg, I initially thought I had another kidney stone. But the tests do not show any stone. Could it be related to the spleen, pancreas, or maybe a biliary obstruction? It is constant, achy, and sometimes excruciating pain. Any ideas what it could be?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2009
General Q and A Answer A5558

Current medical status: Left-side upper abdominal pain, starting under the ribs, down the left-side pelvic area, all the way to the left foot.
Current medical treatment: Have had CT scans, MRIs, colonoscopy, X-rays, etc. - no diagnosis from urologists, gastroenterologists, infectious disease, internal medicine, to name a few doctors.

The only nerve that is long enough to transfer the pain from the foot to the abdomen is the ischiadic nerve. However this nerve starts from the lumbar part of the spine and you have your pain much higher, too. There is a possibility that several close nerves are affected. The symptoms you reported are not quite representative for the mentioned possible condition, but the tests you have done exclude almost every pathological condition related to the abdominal organs in that area: kidneys, colon, pancreas and spleen.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.