Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

abdominal pain caused by emotional pain ?

Hey everyone -

I'm just looking for some help on my wife's abdominal pain. I have my own theories. Doctors cannot find a cause.

She's been to the ER 4-5 times per year for this condition for 5+ years now. She gets pain in her abdomen/kidney areas.

However, the doctors can never find a physical cause for it. Sometimes, the pain switches sides on her body.

Since she's been to the ER so many times, she's had every battery of tests imaginable. And they all come out 100% okay. Sometimes, a slight abnormality. But nothing to be concerned about.

She'll often leave the ER after going on powerful meds like morphine and dilaudid. At this point, every hospital in our home city of 600,000+ knows her.

My theory is that this is pain from her childhood she hasn't dealt with. She says she's not under any stress at this point in her life. She quit her job recently to avoid stress.

And, I agree. She's quite happy. But this keeps happening. About every 2-3 months or so. Doctors don't want to give her these powerful medications anymore.

I'm going to stick with my theory of it being repressed emotional pain she hasn't dealt with. Is it possible its something like prescription drug addiction?

She always gets in excruciating pain, to the point where she is doubled over and can barely walk.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there a name for this? As I said, I have my own theory. But I'm interested in other people's experiences/opinions.

Thanks,

Dan
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
I think the pain you have described is psychological or could be a result of addiction to drugs been prescribed to her. You need to make an urgent appointment with a psychiatrist so he can assess her and take her off these medications she’s addicted to with the help of talk therapies or a better way in his opinion.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr Khalil
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.