Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Abdominal pain , bloating , and constipation , and IBS

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
For the past two months I have had chronic constipation, sharp pains underneath my lower ribs on both sides, and painful bloating. It seems to be more apparent after I've eaten, I can go for days without a bowel movement, and when I do the amount of stool is small for how long I've went without and how much I have consumed. The only position I feel comfotable in is laying down, and standing up forces me to bend over slightly because of the uncomfortable feeling in my abdomen, sitting feels even worse, as if my ribs are cutting into my organs. To my left of my diaphram hurts the most and when I press below my upper ribs I can hear a gurgling sound, and a feeling of movement below my ribs.
I plan to go to a doctor, but I'm hoping to get some possible answers and research them before doing so.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2009
Abdominal Pain Answer A8641

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Your concern is regarding the abdominal pain, constipation and bloating that you are having. After reading your symptoms, I feel it is likely that you may be having irritable bowel syndrome. It is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder of unknown cause. Common symptoms include abdominal cramping or pain, bloating and gassiness, and altered bowel habits(alternate constipation or loose stools).

Treatment includes addition of more fiber in your diet, cessation of smoking and taking stress, anti-spasmodic medicines, anti-diarrheal medicines, anti-depressants and new medicines like Alosetron and Tegaserod. My sincere advice is to consult a physician/ gastroenterologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.