Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Abdominal Pain and shooting pain in rectal area.

User Profile
Any ideas on what is causing me pain? On February 9th, I started having severe pain in my lower right quadrant of my stomach. I went to the doctors and he prescribed me ibuprofen 800 and told me to keep an eye on it because it might be appendicitis. I got a CT w/barium to look at my pelvic and lower abdomen on my right side. The reports came in and said I had no appendicitis, but an ovarian cyst seems to be on my right ovary. A couple days later it hurt so bad my dad took me to the E.R. I had an ultrasound and found out the cyst wasn't there and gave me a shot for the pain. Since then, I started having pain on the left lower quadrant. I went to another doctor who advised to take Metamucil and stop taking any ibuprofen. She referred me to a gastroenterologist. Two days later I started seeing medium-dark red blood in my stools. I have seen it everyday (will be close to 2 1/2 weeks now). I went to see my gastroenterologist two days ago and requested to get my blood tested. I ended up making an appointment yesterday and I've gotten that done. But the pain keeps getting worse. Now my right side is hurting again, and I'm starting to have this shooting pain in my rectal area. So I have a combination of that and the dominant pain on my lower left stomach. I have to wait until June to hear my results, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I'm an 18 year old female. I haven't been able to exercise that much due to pain. I pretty much have been eating a bland diet. I am currently in school and it's affecting my ability to focus and work. I would love any input

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2014
Abdominal Pain Answer A47052
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If the pain occurring is cyclical and occurs every month around similar time on alternate sides, then it could be attributed to ovarian cyst rupture and/or ovulation. The exact cause can only be made out after thorough evaluation. Appearance of blood in stools will indicate gastrointestinal cause. Consider taking second opinion from gastroenterologist and also your gynecologist and get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and evaluation results) to control your symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist/gastroenterologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.