For the past 3 days I've been having diarrhea but only blood and mucus come out. It looks to be about 2 or 3 oz each time. The blood is heavy and falls to the bottom of the toilet bowl. I have severe abdominal pain and cannot hold down water or food. When I take a sip of water about 10-15 min. later the abdominal pain becomes more severe and and I pass a lot of blood. I also have chills and I'm dizzy. My ex-husband cancelled my health insurance so I'm no longer covered otherwise I'd head straight to the E.R. I've never had hemorrhoids but that seems to be the consensus by family and friends because of the color of the blood. What else could it be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2012
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Bloody diarrhea means that there's some sort of injury or disorder located somewhere in your digestive tract. The closer the source of bleeding is to the anus, the brighter red the blood will be. Going by your symptoms it looks like inflammatory bowel disease( Crohn’s disease/ ulcerative colitis) or hemorrhoids to me. The other causes of bloody stool are anal fissures ,intestinal polyps or diverticulosis (diverticulosis causes significant bleeding). Bacteria and parasitic infections can also cause these symptoms. So get stool examination done. Other causes of blood in stools are aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, polyps (small growths) and cancerous tumors (malignant growths of tissue).Diagnosis is by ultrasound abdomen and sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy. Please consult a surgeon or gastroenterologist to find out the confirmatory diagnosis as treatment will depend on the same. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2012
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Bloody diarrhea means that there's some sort of injury or disorder located somewhere in your digestive tract. The closer the source of bleeding is to the anus, the brighter red the blood will be. Going by your symptoms it looks like inflammatory bowel disease( Crohn’s disease/ ulcerative colitis) or hemorrhoids to me. The other causes of bloody stool are anal fissures ,intestinal polyps or diverticulosis (diverticulosis causes significant bleeding). Bacteria and parasitic infections can also cause these symptoms. So get stool examination done. Other causes of blood in stools are aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, polyps (small growths) and cancerous tumors (malignant growths of tissue).Diagnosis is by ultrasound abdomen and sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy. Please consult a surgeon or gastroenterologist to find out the confirmatory diagnosis as treatment will depend on the same. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.