Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

abdominal muscles were not reattached, what can i do?

I was in a severe car accident almost 3 years ago. Due to the accident I lost my spleen, my stomach ruptured and liver was cut. Apparently once the surgery was complete my vitals kept dropping so as a last resort they cut me open to relieve pressure and left me that way - I ended up healing from the inside out - Due to all of the other injuries My abdominal issues were the least of their worries and all focus was on saving my leg - Something I noticed once I was home was that my abdominal muscles were not reattached to each other and now (unless I wear a girdle like garment) my stomach slips through the hole. If i do not wear a garment I get motion sickness whe nI walk and my back hurts - i dont think anything really is WRONG with this but it is uncomfortable and I no longer know what would be "normal" activities for me - What can hurt me and what cant because i never saw the doc that did the abdominal work after i came out of the coma - I still see the Ortho because the leg is still severely damaged. So I had no way of finding out what I need to do from here - Where do I start? What can I do and what can I not do? What SHOULD i do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The detailed history is suggestive that you have developed a Abdominal hernia, at the site of the abdominal surgery, as a result of weakness at the site.

A hernia is usually a sac formed by the lining of the abdominal cavity (peritoneum). The sac comes ‎through a hole or weak area in the fascia, the strong layer of the abdominal wall that surrounds the ‎muscle.‎

Most often there are no symptoms. However, sometimes there may be discomfort or pain. The ‎discomfort may be worse when you stand, strain, or lift heavy objects.‎

Although a hernia may only cause mild discomfort, it may get bigger and strangulate. This means that ‎the tissue is stuck inside the hole and its blood supply has been cut off. If this occurs, you will need ‎urgent surgery.‎

Surgery is the only treatment that can permanently fix a hernia. Here a surgical mesh made of a strong, sterile, synthetic material is placed under the hernia site to strengthen the weakened muscle and prevent herniation of abdominal contents. Recovery from this procedure may take about 2-3 weeks depending on the size and location of the hernia.

You may consult with your doctor or a Surgeon for a examination and proper treatment and advice.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.