Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Abdominal CT scan to locate scar tissue adhesions

User Profile
I am having a hard time accepting this diagnosis.

Shouldn't there have been some type test or xray..something to rule out other causes before just saying it was scar tissue adhesions? I don't know what type doctor to see now or what type tests should be done.

Should I just accept this and try to learn to deal with this pain?

Thank you for your consideration and advice.

Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: rebo1 

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2009
Abdominal Pain Answer A5797
Current medical status: This past Thursday at about 3 pm I started having pain (3 of 10 scale) with cramping (labor contraction like cramps) in my upper abdomem (high in between my ribs). The cramping pain kept increasing in frequency and intensity until I was writhing in my bed. The pain was definitely 10 of 10 scale. This lasted for several hours, until about midnight. I awoke at 2:30 am and started vomiting. This was the most foul smelling vomit ever. I have never smelled anything like it except maybe rotten eggs. I continue to wake up vomiting about every 2 - 3 hours. The last time was about 4:30 pm on Friday. I could not eat or drink anything heated on Saturday because it burned my esophagus horribly. I was fine until Wednesday about 5 pm when the high upper abdominal cramping pain returned and quickly became pain of 10 of 10 scale. Again, I was writhing from one side of my bed to the other. I called my family doctor and he advised me to come to his office the next morning (yesterday). The pain finally subsided and there was not vomiting this time. I did go to the doctor as advised yesterday morning. They took my weight, blood pressure, and oxygin level. The doctor came in and asked a few questions...any diarrhea (no) any consitpation (some, but I have IBS), and any pain today. He then palpated my abdomen..mostly lower than where the pain was and listen to my abdomen with his stethoscope. He said the pain was from scar tissue adhesions from my previous surgeries. He explained that the only treatment was surgery which would only cause more scar tissue, so really there is nothing we can do about it. I was almost in tears at this time.
Current medical treatment: He wrote a prescription for 20 hydrocodone tablets to take as needed for pain. No return visit or tests

Scar tissue adhesions caused by previous surgeries could cause abdominal pain. But these adhesions can’t be proven with a simple physical examination like your doctor did to you. You need an abdominal CT-scan to prove them. You could also request a few more procedures (abdominal x-ray, abdominal ultrasound, upper endoscopy, gastroduodenoscopy, digital rectal examination, and colonoscopy) to exclude other possibilities like peptic ulcer, stomach cancer, colon cancer, etc.

You could consult a gastroenterohepatologist about this.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.