User Profile
I have terrible abdominal cramps and wind for over a year now. I used have it just on and off before that, but nothing serious, however it is getting worse and sometimes i just want to cry with frustration. Have had a colonoscopy and ct scan, with exception of thickening of stomach wall, all was clear. No particular food seems to trigger it, colpermin doesnt help anymore at all, nor colofac. My periods seem to be up the left a bit too, usually 24 day cycle, was 16 (after colonoscopy, came next day), then 28, now 32 days and still waiting. Not pregnant. Do you think there might be a connection? I also have an 'uncomfortable' hip since January, and basically am in bad form with the whole lot. Any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2009
Abdominal Pain Answer A7347
Hi
Welcome to the forum!
Your symptoms (abdominal cramps and wind, irregular periods) with a CT finding of thickening of stomach wall should be investigated further in line of endometriosis. The other possibility is polycystic disease of the ovary or PCOS. The irregular periods and abdominal cramps may or may not be related.
Also you feel that no particular food seems to trigger it. However it is very difficult to pinpoint gluten intolerance as almost all food items have either oat/wheat/barley. You should take a gluten sensitivity test to rule this out. Lactose intolerance is easier to detect. Also some people have intolerance to carbohydrate in general. This too should be looked at.
There are many causes for irregular periods such as high cholesterol, hormonal imbalance, highly stressful life, chain smoking, and dramatic changes in life style. Other important causes of irregular periods are PCOS and fibroid uterus. Menopause is also a time of hormonal imbalance and irregular periods (you could be going through this at 44 years).
Discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist. It is difficult to comment beyond this on net without examining. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.