User Profile
I am asking this for my sister who is at work and unable to access the internet. I'm going to try to cram as much background information in here as possible. She is 27 years old. She is currently taken Worfrin for a blood clot that she has in her arm. About a week ago she started having abdominal cramping as if she needed to have a bowel movement. When she goes it is either only mucus that comes out or nothing at all. She is straining so much that I am sure hemorrhoids have formed because she says her anus burns a lot. She used to be able to go home on her lunch hour to take care of business (if you know what I mean) but now she isn't able to do that. Could the change in her schedule be the reason for her constipation. She has also lost a lot of weight (over 20 pounds in five months)with no change in diet and exercise. She had blood tests and stool tests run yesterday and everything came back normal. What could be causing this irregularity?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A6596
Bowel function can be affected by multiple factors, including stress and changes in daily schedules. However, your sister's weight loss is somewhat concerning to me. She should probably be referred to a GI doctor for further work-up.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.