Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

abdominal cramp and bloated, but 3 wks to my next period?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
i finished my period a week ago and have had unprotected sex with my partner, i have lower abdominal cramp and am bloated, but have 3 weeks to go til my period????
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

For a woman with a 28 day cycle regularly, ovulation is expected to occur around the 14th day. Having unprotected sex during day 12 to day 16 of her cycle, also called Fertile period increases the chances of pregnancy. Intercourse before and after this time interval does not result in conception.

Since you are still 3 weeks away from your period, and assuming you have a 28 day cycle, you are still in the unfertile period of the cycle. Having intercourse during this period does not result in pregnancy.

But to avoid pregnancy scars, you should definitely consult your doctor and seek help choosing a proper contraceptive method for yourself. Until then using protection (condoms) during the fertile period of the cycle should be helpful.

I hope this helps.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Am I Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.