Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

a way to improve the health of my lungs?

User Profile
I am 15 years old. I have smoke cigarettes since about age 12-13. I'm not looking for you to ask me to quit smoking. I want to and I know it is bad. My question is, based on statistics, how likely is it that i have done permanant damage to my lungs? I can still run the mile in 7 mins and i am very fast. But some days i find myself not being able to fully catch a good breathe. I would like to know my chances of getting Lung Cancer or other lung disease by smoking, and a way to improve the health of my lungs. Such as running. Can excersise help the health of lung? Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2011
Stop Smoking Answer A24245
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Lung cancer usually takes many years to develop but the changes start in the lungs(abnormal cells start appearing)as soon the person is exposed to carcinogenic chemicals.Men who smoke one pack per day increase the risk by 10 times as compared to non smokers.
If smoking is stopped the risk decreases as the abnormal cells start reversing to normal and after 10 years of quitting the risk of cancer is dropped to half as compared to non smokers.Smoking not only causes lung diseases but also other issues as too much can even lead to decrease in the semen quality,tremors and shaking in limbs,anxiety etc.
Consider visiting an Addiction centre if you seriously want to quit.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.