Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

a third conization or more invasive treatments?

User Profile
I have had two cervical cone biopsy procedures within the past eighteen months, for CIN 3. The doctor told me that there were clear margins both times. I was very suprised and disappointed to receive my latest pap test result this week as again showing CIN 3. I continue to test positive also for HPV 16. Is it possible to have a third conization treatment or would we now be looking at more invasive treatments? Is there anything I can do to help build up my immune system so that it can 'fight' the effects of the HPV more effectively?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2012
Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Answer A34278
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
There can be asymptomatic spread of the CIN changes which comes to the light after sometime when they cross the transformation zone. It is possible that while the procedures were done, the cells close to the transformation zone would have been going through the changes. Discuss about the options of treatment for the CIN. Cone biopsy is not treatment, but a way of diagnosing the CIN areas (it is sometimes used to aid in removal of abnormal cells). The treatment includes procedures like LLETZ (large loop excision of the transformation zone), Laser therapy or ablation, cold coagulation, cryotherapy, hysterectomy (in extreme or severe cases). Go ahead with further evaluation and treatment options for removal of the CIN cells.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.