Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

A splint or orthodontics?

User Profile
I had braces for a number of years, was told to wear retainers, but i did not and now my teeth have shifted back and now I'm also suffering from TMJD, headaches, jaw pain, jaw soreness, pain in back of head, shoulder pain, back pain, jaw clicking.

One option is to use a splint because it gives you an aquired bite, which you should eventually get used to. A splint takes into consideration your jaw muscles, jaw bones, and teeth.

Another option is orthodontics, but going this way would they take into consideration my TMJ? I know that orthodontists take into consideration jaw bone and teeth, but what about jaw muscles? If i went this way they might say the treatment is to make my bite even worse than my current bite and then then to correct it with jaw surgery

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2012
TMJ Answer A34592
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

TMJ disorder causes pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area and clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth. The symptoms that you are having are related to the TMJ disorder.

You can apply warm compresses to the joint and take anti inflammatory pain killer drugs after consulting your doctor. A physical therapist can also be approached as craniosacral therapy to relax the muscles and fascia of the jaw is very helpful in relieving the pain.

as first line of treatment, you should go in for the day and night splints. In addition, biofeedback instrument such as a biofeedback headband also helps at night. Reconstructibe dentistry, arthrocentesis (joint irrigation), surgical repositoning of jaws and oral surgery (as last resort) can also be tried. Surgical method should be tried in end. So firstly go in for splints.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our TMJ , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.