Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

a slight pain and a really heavy feeling...

User Profile
Hi, two years ago after chest pain and many tests (inc stress test) they performed an angiogram where they found a myocardial muscle bridge over my lower artery decending, the bridge is too wide to stent. They perscibed nicorandol 30 mg bisporal the lowest dose asprin and a spray if i need it, I do get chest pain without warning i can be sat watching tv or a sleep and it will start. more recently though i am getting increased pins and needles in my arms when i wake up during the night is this linked in anyway and should i be worried? It goes away slowely as i wake up and start moving around, also i get what i can only descibe as chest niggles, its a slight pain and a really heavy feeling, is this linked. I only normally seek medical advice/help when the chest pain wont go away after using the spray twice. I have just moved to a new area and been ref to a new cardiologist but my first appointment is not til july

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2011
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A23931

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. In myocardial bridging, a segment of a large coronary artery, takes a detour into the myocardium (muscle of the heart) and resurfaces a short distance later; a "bridge" of myocardium extends over the submerged segment of the coronary artery.

The supposed best treatment for this condition in those who are symptomatic is the use of the beta blockers like metoprolol, nebivolol etc and calcium channel blockers like diltiazem. These drugs prevent the bridge to cause any significant obstruction to the flow of blood in the coronary arteries.

On the other hand, the use of nitrates or sprays can actually worsen the problem in some patients. Stenting is usually the last resort in the treatment of myocardial bridging after the patients fail to respond to the drugs.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.