Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

a non stop dry tickly cough, for two months

User Profile
Hi I am a female of 42 years of age. For two months now I have a dry tickly cough, thats was not caused by cold or flue.Have tried all of the counter syrups. A few days ago I went to my gp and she gave me Salbutamol inhaler and to have a chest xray at my local hospital. Since is the weekend I will go for the chest xray tomorrow. Today my symptoms are worse then ever. The cough is non stop and I mean non stop. I started to get pain each time I cough on my left side of breast and it seems like the inhaler is making me worse. Any advice please? I feel I cant cope anymore

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2015
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

From the history provided it seems that you have seasonal bronchitis.

Bronchitis, a infection/ inflammatory condition of the upper airways of the lungs (bronchi), It is common in winter and often develops following a cold, sore throat or flu.

The main symptom of bronchitis is a cough, which may bring up yellow-grey mucus.

There are some things you can do at home to lessen the severity of symptoms:
1. Over the counter medications can help pain, fever and cough
2. A humidifier can help break up mucus
3. take lots of fluids - to prevent dehydration.
4. Make sure you take plenty of rest. Stress and lack of rest worsens the condition and prolongs recovery.

If spasmodic cough is your predominant symptom, it is due to bronchial inflammation. Hence your doctor has prescribed you a inhaler (most likely a mild steroid cum bronchodilator) which can help control your symptoms. It will take a few days for your symptoms to subside.

Hence do not panic and continue the medications as advised and soon you will see improvement of your symptoms.

Bronchitis is usually a mild and self-limiting condition which clears up spontaneously within a week. But if symptoms worsen, i.e. shortness of breath, or a fever that lasts more than four or five days, you might consider consulting a doctor who can prescribe antibiotics.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.