Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

a much larger lump, do I need to worry about this?

User Profile
Hi, I am an 18 year old female..

A couple of months ago I found a small pea size lump in my left breast. I did go to see the doctor, and after 3 visits I finally got an appointment for an ultra-sound and scans.

2 weeks ago, I found another lump.. thin was under my left breast above my ribs. This is a much larger lump, and moves quite freely, do I need to worry about this new find and return to the doctors?

As you can imagine it's terrifying after finding the first lump.

Thanks, jordanna.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2011
Breast Cancer Answer A28045

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Hard, painful lumps could result from an injury, infection, cyst or fibrocystic change. If you had previous breast injuries, fat cells in the breast tissue may be damaged and produce a firm, painful lump in the breast. Similarly, breast cysts can also produce firm, tender lumps in the breast that change in size. Lastly, fibrocystic changes appear as lumps with irregular borders and grainy texture.

Cancer is least likely considered in your case since most symptoms appear as age increases and presents with hard, immovable lumps, nipple discharge and skin changes. However, you can be at risk of developing one if you have a family history of breast cancer. I suggest that you see your surgeon or gynecologist to evaluate your lumps. Your doctor may perform an ultrasound, MRI, mammography or biopsy, depending on the character of the lumps observed during manual breast examination.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.