Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

A movable lump on the eyelid

User Profile
my baby boy(8 months) has a moveable lump right above his eye. Its about the size and feel of a tiny little rubber ball. I was born with a similar lump on my stomach, although mine isn't movable, and our physician told us that it was a cyst. Can someone tell me what this possibly may be? I'm a bit worried as it hasn't gone away. Its been present for about 2 months but hasn't grown in size and doesn't seem to cause our child any discomfort. Thank you!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2010
Infants Answer A8868
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Your concern is regarding the movable lump on the eyelid of your child. From the description of your symptoms, it sounds like a cyst or chalazion. A chalazion is a cyst in the eyelid that is caused by inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland, usually on the upper eyelid.

Apply hot wet compresses on the swelling and consult an ophthalmologist as if it is a chalazion, then it may need scraping. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.