Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

a lump on my urethral opening

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
i found a lump on my urethral opening, and its been getting bigger! infact, its so big that when i go to pee, little urine comes out because the lump covers most of my urethral opening! i am 16 years old and i have not been sexually active.
the lump is red and the surface is smooth. it only hurts when i push it down, i tried to break it but i couldnt!
i am really scared it might be cancer, so i am scared to tell my parents, but will tell them is it is absolutely necessary!
does it need any medical care, or will it disappear on its own?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2011
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A18132
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Do not touch, press or try to break the ‘lump’ that you feel. It can result in severe pain and bleeding. If you suspect something to be abnormal then discuss with your mother about getting an examination done by a gynecologist (not regular family doctor/GP). The urethral opening is usually very small and neatly cushioned in the vulval area with lot of pink/red tissue around it for protection. You might be mistaken with the appearance. The examination done by the gynecologist will tell you if there is anything to be worried and requiring intervention like presence of sebaceous cyst, infected gland ducts, urethral cyst, etc.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.