User Profile
I have a lump behind my knee. When I press on it it hurts otherwise doesn't hurt. Any ideas what it is?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2016
Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Answer A56694
hello and welcome

your concern is appreciated

A lump behind the knee can be baker cyst which can present as swelling behind the knee which is actually the accumulation of fluid in bursa between the gastrocnemius muscle.people may experience tightness swelling and pain in upper calf and is most appreciable when knee is bend or straighten all the way. the cuases for this cyst can be arthritis, infection, damaged cartliage or any other injury to the knee so treating the cause can make it go away but complication alo occur like the cyst may grow in size can extend to the calf muscles and may burst results in bruising on the ankle due to leaked fluid. joint xray MRI and u/s is done for diagnosing.the treatment includes treatment of the cause cortisone injections it can also be drained and surgery can also be done when all other treatment is not effective. symptomatic treatment temporarily includes physiotherapy and avoidance of activities that aggravate the knee joint and mediaction to redue pain like ipobrufen. other differential diagnosis are meniscal cyst, ganglionic cyst.

hope it helps
thanks.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Arthritis
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.