User Profile
I have developed a little raised bump on my perineum, it is red/skin colored and maybe a little white. It's slightly rough to the touch. It has been there for a little more than a week and it hasn't spread. I have some eczema in various places on my body and everything down there seems to be itching a lot, especially my scrotum and anus. My father is a physician and he seems to think that this time of year the skin become itchy. I am very worried that it is genital warts, but he thinks the bump doesn't look like that. regardless, the constant itching and bump really worry me thought they me separate conditions altogether. What other things could this be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2012
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A38156
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

The most common cause of excessive itching in the private parts is due to a fungal infection. It is called tinea cruris. If proper treatment is not taken, it keeps on recurring. Genital warts appear as raised and sometimes small brown/ black patches that may hurt or itch and are highly contagious. It definitely requires a proper examination to comment regarding the exact cause.

Eczema occurs, when due to dry skin, a person itches and causes break in the skin integrity.The first thing to prevent eczema is to prevent dryness. In your case a topical steroid will help you in clearing the symptoms and a regular use of a good moisturizer will prevent lesions from occurring again.

The other causes for persistence like leaving the treatment in between, treatment resistance (when one drug is being used), co-existing dermatitis, diabetes and low immunity, etc also needs to be ruled out.

If persistent consider visiting a Dermatologist for evaluation. Till then you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection .There is no harm in putting a calamine lotion in that area to soothe the itching. You can also use 1% hydrocortisone cream available over the counter for symptomatic relief

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.