Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

a little concerned that I might have a hormonal imbalance

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
My husband & I are trying to conceive and I am a little concerned that I might have a hormonal imbalance that will need to be fixed before we are successful. My cycle lasts right at about 28 days but menstruation seems odd. I will have 1 day of spotting followed by a normal flow day then spotting for 5 or 6 days then 1 more day of normal flow and then its done. Do I need to have this checked out? Background info: Was on the pill for many years but was having a lot of spotting at all times so went off and my cycle started to get back to normal. Last year took Claravis and obviously went back on the pill for that. Haven't taken any of that since July 2011. Giving that info in case it might affect fertility or hormone stuff. Thank you for your help!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A32100
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Menstrual flow can vary from woman to woman. As long as periods are regular and on time (although variation of 5-10 days is considered to be normal) you can relax. If you have been trying for pregnancy (for more than a year) and have not been successful, you should consider getting a complete infertility work-up done for you and your partner to see if there are any underlying causes for the infertility/inability to conceive. Hormonal issues, problems involving ovaries and ovulation, uterine problems, tubal blocks, cervical or vaginal infections, ovarian failure/suppression etc., should be ruled out for you. For your partner, semen analysis should be done to rule out infections and to confirm the quality and quantity of sperms produced. Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigations results) would be started to help you get pregnant. Consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician for further evaluation and assistance and be in regular follow-up and monitoring as instructed. Have diet with foods rich in zinc content to ensure better maturation of egg and sperms. Monitor cervical mucus changes and the BBT (basal body temperature) charting to predict your ovulation and time your intercourse for having fruitful results. Have intercourse in positions that allow for deeper penetration for high deposit of semen.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.