Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

a kidney stone or renal infection?

User Profile
I woke up from a nap with really sharp, sudden pains in my lower back between my rib cage and my hip. The pain was so bad I couldn't get comfortable and I vomitted. In the emergency room, I was screaming and contorting. Thanks to some drugs, I was able to rest and feel somewhat better. The doctor told me I either had a kidney stone or renal infection. I have never been plagued with this issue before, until two weeks ago, when I woke up from the same pain, which went away. This isn't a constant pain, but it hits me suddenly, usually when I'm sleeping. I don't know what to think. What could this pain be, and what should I do about it?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A19579
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

Based on the history, it seems that episodic abdominal pain could be due to renal stones. Pain that originates due to renal issues (Stones, infection) is episodic ,spasmodic or colicky in nature, originating in the flank and radiating to the lower belly and the inner thigh. It is associated with other symptoms like nausea, vomiting , etc.

You might consider consulting a Urologist for a physical examination and additional evaluations including a urinalysis, and an ultrasound of the abdomen and this will help to initiate necessary treatment.

I hope you find this information useful.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.