Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

a cone-shaped protrusion that is red?

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
User Profile
About 8-9 months ago I had a little bump appear on the top of my knee cap. It did not have a head, but protruded. I tried to pop it and it became inflamed and swollen. I showed it to my doctor who put me on antibiotics, but it did not go away. It has gotten larger and started to get rough on top so I did somewhat pop it. When I popped it, hard white substance stuck out the center of the bump. I had to pull it out. The lump never decreased in size though. There was a small hole in the center of it after I popped it. It is still a cone-shaped protrusion that is red around the base and hurts when I hit it. What does this like?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2012
Skin Cancer Answer A34601

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. From the symptoms it looks like a sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that fills with a white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis.

It is usually painless but can become painful if infected.
What exactly is this can be diagnosed only after examination of the area. Till that time you can apply warm compresses and some topical antibiotics like Neosporin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.