Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

a burp relieves the pressure in chest and heart

User Profile
Hi- I'm a 20 year old male with no history of health problems. I do not smoke and I am not overweight, and I do not have high blood pressure. 1.5 months ago I began experiencing palpitations in my heart, especially before sleep which were a lot of the times accompanied by burping. For the last 2-3 weeks however I have been experiencing a dull pressure in my chest and especially on the heart area. Sometimes when I burp it momentarily relieves the pressure but it immediately comes back. Also my palpitations have become stronger and are accompanied by momentary dizziness. I went to the emergency room a week back and an EKG test and a blood test showed that all was fine, except for "an extra heartbeat" which they said was very normal. 2 days ago however, I felt a pain in the centre of my chest which spread upwards. I was scared it was a heart attack and almost fainted before I managed to call the paramedics. They blamed it on a heartburn with anxiety/fear. Is it a heart attack? I'm worried

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2014
Chest Pain Answer A47751
Hey Dear!

Thanks for writing to EHF!

20 years old is a very young age for heart diseases in general and particularly heart attack. Although it is difficult from here to tell over the internet your disease but here are few differential.

Looking at your gender, the most common cause of these symptoms could be Anxiety/Stress which further increase pain by secreting extra acids in stomach. That is why you ECG is normal. A few extra heart beat also suggest anxiety.

Another possibility is Thyroid dysfunction but are very rare in male gender. And I also hope your doctor already ran the test for Thyroid Hormones Level. But If he didnt you can consider TSH level in your Blood.

Hope it helped

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.