User Profile
how do i deal with a bipolar bf who wants to get rid of everyone he cares about? please help asap!! i'm worried

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2011
Bipolar Disorder Answer A20380
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the abnormal behaviour of your boy friend who is suffering from bipolar disorder.
Bipolar disorder is characterised by unpredictable swings in mood from mania to depression. Mood fluctuations are chronic and should be present for at least 2 years before the diagnosis is made. During a manic episode, increased psychomotor activity, decreased need for sleep, impulsivity and impaired judgment are the main feature. Men likely to have more manic episodes over a lifetime. Since impulsivity and impaired judgement are the main problems during the manic episode which might be responsible for the symptoms that you have mentioned in your boy friend. You should consult a psychiatrist for thorough evaluation of your boy friend and institution of mood stabilizing therapy as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.