Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

a biopsy indicates gastritis but...

User Profile
My 16 year old daughter has been suffering from upper right quadrant pain. She has suffered from these attacks since April of last year. The pain starts, she is nauseous and vomits sometimes from 1-2 days but the episodes have lasted 7 -10 days. She had a CT Scan done and it came back showing a slightly enlarged gall bladder and abnormalities in the liver. An MRI was done almost one week later and it came back normal. This last attack had the pain in the urq with pain that radiated to her upper back and sometimes shifted to the middle of the abdomen. She stayed in the hospital on Morphine for about a week and we are still not able to get rid of the pain. I would like the doctors to further investigate but I am not sure what test to ask for and the Drs seem to be at a loss. She did have an endoscopy done and it came back with an irritated stomach and a biopsy indicates gastritis. I hope you have some ideas. She has had weight loss of about 6lbs in 6 weeks

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A18966
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

From the available history, the symptoms of recurrent RUQ pain, nausea and vomiting could be due a liver disorder (Hepatitis).

This can be supported by the fact that the CT scan report showing liver abnormalities and a elevated bilirubin on the blood tests. She can be reevaluated by repeating her liver function tests and serology panel for Hepatitis.

The constellation of symptoms and the findings on the Upper GI endoscopy of gastritis and erosions could be due to Gastro Esophageal Reflux disease, H Pylori infection induced gastritis, or related to her stress of associated medical conditions.

Treatment would be via proper hydration, diet and lifestyle modification, physical exercise, and medications including antacids, omeprazole or other acid reducing medications.

In addition tests to detect H-Pylori infection in the stomach and specific treatment for 3-4 weeks may be helpful in case of H pylori infection induced gastritis.

You might consider consulting your physician or a gastroenterologist for additional evaluation and treatment.

I hope you find this helpful.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.