Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

a bald spot on my cowlic since age 16. anything i can do?

User Profile
Im 30 and have a bald spot on my cowlic (sic) the normal spot.Ive had it since i was 16.It hasnt gotten worse,nor better..I think its from when i was younger i used to tie my hair there in knots and pulled it out by the roots..

Ive tried vitamins,and rogaine and theyve done nothing.Is there anything else besides surgery which i wont do to help my hair grow back there.??

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A34143
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

From the symptoms it looks like traction alopecia. Traction alopecia is caused by gradual hair loss, caused primarily by pulling force being applied to the hair. If there is slight receding of hair, then stop tying it in a bun or ponytail and it should get better.

But if there is any folliculitis and ulceration associated then it is severe in nature. Treatment includes topical and oral antibiotics and surgical hair transplantation procedures.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.