A medical condition or disease is any disorder in which an organ, system or part of the body is impacted causing it to improperly function. There are millions of medical conditions and diseases from which people suffer. According to research studies, there are several medical issues, which are more prevalent than others.
Medical conditions and diseases can be acute or chronic. Here are some of the most frequently diagnosed medical issues:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)-This occurs when the esophageal sphincter opens, allowing stomach contents to reenter the esophagus and causes heartburn symptoms
- Cancer-This is characterized by an abnormal growth of cells affecting organs
- Diabetes-High blood glucose levels caused by the body's inability to control insulin are the defining factor of this diagnosis.
- Heart disease-A variety of cardiovascular problems including myocardial infraction, congestive heart failure and cardiac arrhythmias are designated in this category.
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)-Benign enlargement of the male prostate gland defines this diagnosis.
- Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)-AIDS is a viral disease that attacks the immune system.
- Acne-Acne is a skin condition resulting from hair follicles becoming plugged and causing an eruption.
- Allergy-Allergies include a variety of immune system responses to allergen exposure, including environmental, medication and foods.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)-This is a developmental disorder presenting with inattentive and impulsive behavior.
Who Do They Affect?
- There are medical diseases and conditions that affect all age groups.
- There are some disorders that affect primary age groups. For example, acne is most often associated with teenagers while ADHD usually begins in the early childhood years and BPH is a condition found in men over 55 years of age.
- Family history plays a large role in those who are affected by many different medical problems.
- Gender, ethnic background and race influence the predisposition to some conditions.
The primary concern about all medical conditions and diseases is assuring that the patient receives appropriate and adequate treatment. In order to be sure that happens, it is imperative to have regular medical examinations and practice preventive care. Routine screenings are an important factor in maintaining good health.