Medical Questions > Parenting > Preschool Kids Forum

5yr old with a low white blood cell count.?

User Profile
My 5year old son's doctor has notified me that he has a low white blood cell count. His count was at 2,000. There was little explantion.His doctor wants to retest his blood in two months. Just recent we have noticed that he has been sleeping alot.His this something I should worry about or should I get a second opinion?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2011
Preschool Kids Answer A20892
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
White blood cells (leukocytes) in the blood comprise granulocytes (cells with granules in their cytoplasm) and mononuclear cells. Granulocytes are of three types – neutrophils, eosinophils and basophils while mononuclear cells are lymphocytes and monocytes. The WBC count lowers down and reaches the normal levels within fifteen days. It also has a diurnal cycle, i.e. counts vary during a 24-hour day. Normal WBC count range for children is also 4,300 to 10,800 per micro-liter (mcL) of blood. WBC count, less than 3,500 is considered as low white blood cell count while WBC count more than 11,000 is known as high WBC count. White blood cells are produced in the bone marrow. Low white blood cell count is also referred to as leukopenia. Causes of Low White Blood Cell Count in Children include Vitamin deficiency, parasitic diseases, aplastic anemia, viral infection, hyperthyroidism, dysfunction of the immune system or autoimmune diseases, cancer etc.
WBCs are required to fight infections and diseases, so prompt improvement in WBC count is required. Blood tests and bone marrow test help diagnose leukopenia. Vitamin deficiency can be treated with nutritious healthy diet or supplements. After detecting the cause of low WBC count, proper medications will be prescribed to treat the underlying disease. The low count needs to be viewed in the light of the clinical profile.
Detecting the exact cause of low WBC count is essential for the determination of correct treatment. Please get a complete blood count with a peripheral blood film review and consult with your doctor for definitive diagnosis as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Preschool Kids , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.