Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

9 yr old son has a nodule in his left lower lung.

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
User Profile
I just was told my 9 yr old son has a nodule in his left lower lung. He's never sick. I took him to the DR and she said she couldn't tell me why he's got a nodule so she did some blood work. His Calcium and bun/creatine were slightly elevated and his alkaline phosphate and AST were very high. Of course I read about it and I'm worried he could have cancer?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2015
Cancers Answer A52561
Welcome to e health forum.

First of all, please keep in mind that due to the lack of complete medical history and lack of physical examination, specific diagnosis of your issues cannot be provided. The information provided is only for educational purposes, and should not be considered as your medical diagnosis.

Your concern for your son is understandable. For any lay person, a nodule means cancer, unless specified by your doctor. But before your doctor can specify what is the cause of the nodule, you cannot be alarmed and get stress get to you.

FYI, you might have learnt from the internet that Elevated Calcium, Alkaline phosphatase levels are findings seen in of Small cell lung cancer, and can be indicative of bone metastasis.

A nodule is a "spot on the lung," seen on an X-ray or a computed tomography (CT) scan.

Many causes can present as solitary nodules in the lung. These include inflammatory granulomas or infectious causes (like Tuberculosis, crytococcosis, aspergillosis, histoplasmosis) ; sarcoidosis, benign conditions like fibromas, hamartomas, neurofibromas, and finally cancers like lung cancer, lymphomas, carcinoid tumors, sarcomas and other metastatic tumors.

The chances that the node is benign is likely if the patient is young (less than 40 yrs), a nonsmoker, the node is calcified and the size of the node is small.

Since your son is very young and have never been sick, and does not have any symptoms the chances that he has something like cancers or benign tumors is very unlikely. Your son might be having a nonspecific finding like a calcified lymph node (which is the most common case - and this leads to all patients and their families to hit the panic button.

At this time, you need to relax and consult with your doctor and get additional testing including repeat Xrays, CT scans or PET scans, sputum examination and if required a endoscopic biopsy.

These comprehensive tests might help your doctor and you to get to the bottom of this.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.