Medical Questions > Parenting > Grade School Kids Health Forum

6 yr old soiling himself, any suggestion?

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
User Profile
Hi there, my son is 6 and has constipation and soiling from aged 3, he is under a consultant at the hospital and he is no longer constipated but he has always refused to take himself to the loo even now if i ask him if he needs to go will he go and he says no. i asked a child consultant at the hospital who deals with behaviour problems about my son and he said just take away something he loves i.e his psp console and he will go, well we have tried all things like that to no avail, he can have his good days and bad days regarding sooiling himself and also i have been told his behaviour in school can be bad too aswell as his temper at home - what should i do know should i just let him grow out of it one day - his dad had the same problem till he was 13

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2011
Mental Conditions Answer A21532
Hello.

Encopresis is known to have psychological issues associated with it. He may grow out of it eventually, but the process can be helped with a proper evaluation of his psychological needs. Punishment or negative re-enforcements may not necessarily help him in this case. They are usually helpful with behavioral problems. But with encopresis, the problems are much deep seated.

There is an issue of strict parenting that needs to be considered. There have been reports of effective use of SSRI (selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) group of medicines being used for encopresis. You may talk with his doctor about this option. He may also need long term psychotherapy. Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Grade School Kids Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.