Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Younger women with gout?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Most all of the information I've been reading on gout says that it's very rare in women under the age of 40. Does anyone have any other info on this? I'm a 30 year old female, but I've been having what I now think are gout attacks for the past couple of years.... since I was 27. The pain is very intense in my left foot, near the big toe, and also in my right knee. Sometimes it is too difficult to even walk, so I haven't been able to excercise as much, which has caused me to put on weight, which only makes the pain worse. Lovely cycle. Seems like the periods of pain are lasting longer, and the time in between is becoming less frequent.
I'm thinking of asking my doctor to check for gout, but I live abroad, so I want to make sure that I'm asking him the exact things to check for. Also worried that because of my age and sex, he'll immediately dismiss it.
Is it even possible that a woman my age can have gout?
Like I said, I live abroad, and speaking with Chinese doctors is a bit difficult, so I'm hoping to get some help on here!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 18th, 2009
gout
im 25 an female i have had gout since i was 21! yeah it is possible to have it!! my doctor wont do anything but tell me to loose weight! is hard when u cant walk!!! so i stoped seeing him! i drink just tart cherry juice its organic! a shot glass a day does the trick! i only get an attack when i run out of the juice!!!
|

replied July 7th, 2011
young women with gout
I am 21 and have been suffering from gout for a few months. I am taking control of it by using Alkazone Ph Booster Alkaline drops, it works so good. If i do have a crazy flare up i buy aloe vera juice and tart cherry juice from my local Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe.
People always say young people can't have this or that...we are all imperfect duhhhh ( i get so frustrated when someone say that)
|

replied May 10th, 2013
Gout at 21
I am 21 nearly 22 I went to the doctor I started having pain in my joins at the age of 18 in my left ankle then it started to go to my right wrist and now to my left wrist , he saw from blood test from last year I had high acid reading went I was testing for my iron levels He thought it was bought by a lot of alcohole drink but never drink a lot anyway
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 12th, 2013
I am only a 27yr old female, and I'm pretty sure I have Gout. Sadly, I don't have insurance due to being in school and not having children yet, so getting diagnosed is difficult. This has to be some of the worse pain I've felt, it's in my left knee, and ankle, and my right "pointer" toe. It began about 3weeks ago and is now finally starting to subside. Crazy thing is, I am thin, I don't eat seafood at all, I don't eat much meat, I rarely have alcohol ( like maybe one "social" beer every few months), and I was relatively active. Gout does run in my family though. I have been to the ER twice during this period of time as well, and nothing abnormal in my urine or blood work, no fever either. Only symptoms are the swelling, redness, heat to the touch, and of course the ungodly pain. I am hopefully getting into a doc tomorrow morning, but any advice is appreciated. I have started cherry juice, the Apple cider vinegar and honey crap, and Epsom salt baths for my feet. But are attacks this severe normal? I don't believe I've ever had an attack before.... or any other ideas to what it could be? I'm sick of being in excruciating pain, and want my life back. Thanks for any advice/help.
|

replied August 13th, 2013
Experienced User
Because of your age and gender, what I am about to suggest is a long shot, but worth pursuing. Your gout may result from the reduced level of oxygen in your body that results from sleep apnea, which is the frequent cessation of breathing for many seconds at a time during sleep. If you have sleep apnea, overcoming it may be as simple as assuring that you never sleep on your back because in that position gravity can pull your tongue muscle down to obstruct your airway. You may need a prop to control your sleep position. You can try putting a tennis ball in a sock and pinning the sock to the back of your pajamas, so if you ever do roll over onto your back during sleep, the discomfort of the tennis ball will awaken you enough to roll onto your side.
|

replied August 22nd, 2013
I suffered for a year after childbirth with Gout. Gout and Gouty Arthritis do not just affect women after menopause. The wide ignorance on this issue is why it took so long for my doctor to diagnose. My Dad has gout and my Grandmother had hyperuricemia. Gout usually runs in families. Mine was brought on by the extreme weight gain from pregnancy and the extreme dehydration I suffered in the hospital while in Labor. I do not drink alcohol and rarely consume shellfish. At the onset of an attack take 2 Alleve and drink Tart Cherry juice (which I found to be more helpful than Black Cherry juice).. Keep your potassium levels balanced with the help of a low-calorie Emergen-C packet and your body alkalized with celery or super green powder packets from Whole Foods. Avoid foods high in nutrines like beans, meat, spinach, etc. Try to avoid letting a doctor put you on a drug you'll be dependent on for life such as Allupurinol. This condition can be affected and gotten rid of holistically. I am now attack free and can eat or drink whatever I wish. Before I get pregnant again I will lose as much weight as I can so that I do not get as heavy, and will make sure to stay hydrated.
|