Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Yeast infection during pregnancy

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
I am 7 months pregnant with my second child and I had a yeast infection in the beginning. I had my first child with a different partner and never had a yeast infection with that pregnancy. I had never had a yeast infection ever before this. I have symptoms of vaginal dryness, itching and I sometimes itch so much I bleed a little. My itching is on my vaginal lips but only around my clitoris. Me and my boyfriend have sex often and never use condoms and he almost always ejaculates in me. I don't know if it might be a yeast infection or something else since the only symptom I have is that itching. I have told my gyno but she just tells me to take o.t.c. medication for yeast infections. I had itching before pregnancy but it seems to have gotten worse since getting pregnant. I wanted to know if it is normal for this to keep happening. I have even thought that i might be maybe allergic to him or his semen. Any information would help. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
During pregnancy, vaginal yeast infections can be recurrent. The symptoms that you describe could suggest vaginal infection. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation (including vaginal swab/smear test done on vaginal discharge, urine analysis) to look for the underlying cause for the symptoms that you describe. If allergy to seminal fluid is suspected, allergen patch test done would help to confirm/rule it out. Treatment as indicated (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the symptoms. Avoid vaginal douching, or use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Keep area clean and dry, and avoid sweat accumulation. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment to prevent chances of re-infection.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.