Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

2 years old wakes up at night (Page 1)

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
Please help, for the last 4 months, my son has been waking up from his sleep at least twice a night. Getting him to sleep is not a problem, as long as he is tired,he will sleep, however, he still needs a bottle of milk to go to sleep. Also, He is in his own room. During the night he will wake up and I will have to give him a bottle of milk to go back to sleep. But at some point in the early hours of the morning, he refuses milk and my only option is to put him into bed next to me. After I do this he does not wake up until the morning. Despite this he still gets a good 11-12 hours sleep over night and at least 1-2 hours nap during the day. I don't know what to do, as he is consuming so much milk, I don't know why this happens and how long will it go on for.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mum22
|

replied March 10th, 2009
i have a 2 year old 2 she dose the same thing. try getting up about 6:30 every morning and only letting him sleep 1 hour for his nap. im sure that will work its woked for her. good luck
|

replied March 11th, 2009
thanks...
what time do you put her to sleep at night, if she wakes up 6:30? Because sometimes he gets up as early as 7am. But maybe your right about their afternoon naps, he can sometimes sleep for 2 and a half hours. I will give it a go. Thanks
|

replied March 11th, 2009
i put her to bed about 8 or 9 depends but good luck and let me know if it works for u
|

replied March 11th, 2009
Really, that late. Well this eve i tried to put him to sleep at 7 (with a bottle as usual) he did not sleep, until I lay him in my bed and stayed with him til he slept. Maybe tomorrow I will try to put him to bed 7.30, as I will wake him at 6.30 and nap 12.30-1.30.
thanks
|

replied March 11th, 2009
does hr cry in his sleep bc when i was little i did and the reason y was my parents argued around me and i thought my dad was going to leave so i always had dreams about that. so if u do argue around him that might be it. im not saying u do. or he just might be getting in that stage were he wants to stay up more. my girl does that. have u tryed the baby baby time body wash and lotion?
|

replied March 11th, 2009
he does not cry in his sleep he will just get up and start to cry or moan for me to get him cos he is in a cot and cannot take himself out. no have not tried that lotion. how does your daughter fall asleep. did she used to wake up in the middle of the night at what age was this.?
|

replied March 11th, 2009
he has only been doing this for the last 4 months, i thought it was because i moved him into his own room. but just last fri i put his cot back in my room but he still wakes to come into my bed
|

replied March 11th, 2009
she still wakes up sometime depends on what time u put her to bed. but i lay down with for her to go to bed. the bath wash and the lotion it does work it makes them relax.
|

replied June 19th, 2009
well. the younger you teach them the better. my daughter sleeps with us just because i miss her being with me. but before that it was horrible. she hated the playpen. or anything that keeps them trapped. i started out a new relationship and i thought that we didnt have enough time together so i decided to teach her that playpens or cribs are good. i put her to bed with her bottle beside just incase she wanted it. but before that i would leave her to sleep in my bed. when she was fully asleep i would put a fan for her only at the side of me.(if hot)...(if cold) dont just put a regular bed sheet on to the bed or crib. puff it up. make sure its more comfortable then yours. and warm. when she/he is fully asleep pick him/her up and start moving them in your arms so they can feel the warmness. just like the crib. and gently put him/her down. i like to shake there pamper so they can have that vibrations as she did in my arms. at first my daughter the first time started crying. but i did it again. soon they goin to be so tired and tired of crying that they will want to stay in that place. as soon as you hear him /her waking up. wake up faster then them dont let them fully wake up. it would be horrible. cuz they would just start walkin to your bed. wake up before they wake up and give them a bottle or shake them. and sing to them or say its ok baby mommie is here. they will here you,feel warm, and are rocked to sleep they will feel like when they were in there belly. NOW im not saying its easy but most definately would work. now my daughter start crying and i say come here baby and she wont want too. she just throws the bottle at me because she is hungry. lol . but then she goes right to sleep.try it. even if it takes a week to a month. but they'll get use to it. try not to let him/her sleep over until you get him use to the routine. change there diaper atleast 2 times at night. give them food before bed. my daughter loves soup. and if she.he aint sleeping well try to wear them off thru the day. let them play, jump, and do anything thats safe.

Steps:
1. give them a nap early
2. give them a fun time.(toys that makes them hyper,songs...ect.)
3. give them something to eat
4. prepare there comfortable crib,toddler bed(make sure they are comfortable,try no to get them into a place where they feel trapped but yet wont fall.)(if you think she is crying because of you,put 1 or 2 used shirts of yours so she can recognize and think you are there.)
5.go to your bed with them,put him/her to sleep. pick them up,shake for about 3 to 5 min.put them in there place.rock them.
6. make sure they are comfortable.(if cold take alot of blankets)(if hot put fan just for her and wrap her up.
6. stick the bottle where he/she can reach it.
7. repeat procedure as much as possible.

**remember wake up before she does to attend to her/ his needs,make sure they dont sleep with bottle in mouth.

if its about the bottle, try to feed him more then drink thru the day. they only soppose to drink 4oz not 8 to 9oz everytime. so when they are use to 4oz then at night you give them 8 oz make sure its always fresh. but its all about how comfortable they are. you just have to figure him out. somtimes all they want is a comfortable warm bed as when they were in your belly. try to just wear them off thats the best advice. they are just like us. if we have lots of stuff to do then at night we crash all night and forget about things. but if we still in the mood and aint that tired we start twisting a turning, or get up for a meal. toddlers are just like US. =]
|

replied December 11th, 2009
well i have a 2year old and nothing works the bad thing is he sleeps in the same room as me and my husband he wakes up at least 5 times a night and crys like something is wrong but the only thing that makes him stop crying is putting him in bed with us and i only get about 4hours of sleep a night and i usually end up on the floor by morning so i wish someone could help me
|

replied August 25th, 2011
What do we do?
My husband and I have a two year old son and we think that he stills wakes up at night because he was born premature and was in the NICU for three weeks. While there, they had to wake him up every three hours for a feeding. He does sleep through the night periodically but predominantly he wakes up around 3:00am and it is bad for me because sometimes I have to get up at 5:00 to be at work by 6:00am. He sleeps in the same room as us and he always wants something to eat when he gets up at night. We feed him before he goes to bed and give him a bath. We usually end up putting him in our bed and he will sometimes sleep the rest of the night until morning but even in our bed, he sometimes still wakes up. We are out of ideas at this point.
|

replied February 9th, 2010
My 2 year old has a set day nap routine, i give her lunch then we calm down and give her a bottle for bed. She sleeps fine, during the night however, she will go to bed at 730 with a bottle, but she wakes up at 2am wanting another milk! Ive tried supplimenting it with water instead, but she will continue to cry until she has a milk. Then she stays asleep until the morning... 7-730am. I never used to have a problem with her until recently and its starting to wake my other daughter up, which makes me even more sleep deprived! HELP!!!
|

replied March 4th, 2010
I have the same problem with my 2 year old daughter. She has always had trouble sleeping through the night but lately it seems like it is getting worse. She goes to sleep on her own always with a cup of milk but wakes several times a night wanting more. I feel like her cup of milk is like a pacifier. I have tried taking away sippy cups altogether but then felt like she wasn't getting enough milk so gave them back. We have a strict bedtime routine and wake up early around 5:30 every morning. I don't know if it would help to take the cup away again but last time when I did she just wanted a juice box instead when I told her we didn't have sippy cups anymore. I have thought about putting a cup of water near her bed that way if she woke up she could just have that but I don't think she will be satisfied with water. Any suggestions would be great. Thank You!
|

replied March 9th, 2010
I don't have a 2-year old, but it's nice to see what's waiting for me (oh boy...). I read that most babies/kids that shouldn't be eating at night anymore want the milk out of habbit, not that they really need it.
Everything I read points to "let them cry for a night and they'll stop", but I couldn't do that. I can't stand watching my baby cry. After all, it's not like they'll become overweight from an extra glass of milk! If anything, it's extra calcium!
That's just my opinion... It's just a stage. They'll grow out of it.
|

replied March 21st, 2010
My 2 year old son has sleeping problem too. He goes to bed at 10 and will wake up at 3 am every night. He will play for at least an hour and will get back to sleep till around 8 or 9 am. Sometimes he will stay up longer, and the maximum was 3 hours. No matter whether he sleeps for 30 minutes or 3 hours in the afternoon, he still gets up in the middle of the night. I am very fustrated about it.
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2010
my friend told me with my dawta to gradually put less in the bottle like if u give them 8oz then the next nyt 7 then 6 so n so n eventually they think no point waking as mum aint gunna give me what i want it worked on my dawta n she topped waking cus she new she wasnt going to get nefink after a while however my little boy i cnt stop him but hes a big lad and hes 16 months i feel if hes waking its because he needs it and some nyts he does sleep ryt threw depending on wot or how much he has eating during the day, hope iv helped sum how x
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2010
ps iv i let my boy cry hell cry allllllll night lol and also i had both my kids in my bed at somepoint in there life i wanted them close to me but eventually they wudnt sleep unlesss i tucked them up in there own bed/cot x try sleeping with a blanket for a few nights then covering them with it if they can smell u thye may feel more relxed
|

replied August 15th, 2010
I know the last post was a few months ago but I am in the same position with my 2yr old son. He doesn't have milk at night but went through a stage of wanting a drink, so i gave him water which lucky enough he was fine with. He still wakes up at night about 1.30 but i've now realised and read up on that he could be having bad dreams. He goes to bed at 7.30 and has a nap in the day, I tried everything to get him to sleep through, cutting down his naps, putting him to bed earlier but nothing worked. I have now read up on bad dreams and think this is the answer. It's all about security and after a bad dream they just want to know that you are still around for a hug. unfortunately i haven't discovered a solution yet but they do grow out of it by around 3. I hope this helps but you at ease and know that your not alone. xxx
|

replied November 30th, 2010
my 2 year old always had problems in sleeping through a whole night. She used to wake up at 1.30 am and at 5.30 am. Now shwe wakes up 1 to 3 times a night. She takes a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, it helps me relax and have some time for my own, but at the same time im afraid that its better not to give her a nap so maybe she sleeps at night. I dont want her to get overtired and wake up at night just the same after a day not letting her sleep :/ it seems im not the only one who has a problem with a 2 year old. I heard 50 percent of babies sleep a whole night and other 50 percent do not sleep. We are unlucky i guess
|

replied January 7th, 2011
2 year old waking in nights
My son has slept through the night perfectly up to now. He will be turning 2 in a week. He stopped napping a month ago since our Aruba trip. He now is waking around 2 and then 5 or 6. Im working on trying to get his naps in again. I think he wakes up from his teeth hurting. The nights I gave him Tylenol it has helped in sleeping longer. He does look for a bottle at night and carries on until he gets his way. I only give him an ounce of watered down juice to go back to sleep. I hope this stops soon. It seems like it's a normal thing with 2 year olds.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply