Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

15 years old, I hate myself because I'm skinny.

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
I'm a 15 year old normal kid and I really can't stand my own life. I don't want to go into too much detail because I'm sure people don't want to read pages and pages but I hate myself simply because I'm skinny. At my age a big part of life is enjoying being young, having girlfriends, going to parties with mates etc. But I cannot enjoy that because I hate that I'm skinny. My parents would just say to ignore it and they say that nobody even notices but they do, at school we are forced to play Rugby and I literally despise it because everyone else is just ten times bigger and stronger than me and I feel embarrassed and I just want it to end. I have had girls comment that my arms are thin and I haven't actually had a girlfriend or anything whilst at secondary school, and I can tell that it is because I'm not the big, hench bad boy of the class. I have also been playing football at a club since I was 8, the people who play in my team now are quite popular in my year group. I have talked to people about the fact that I play football and they've seemed surprised, I then ask why and they say that I don't look like the sort of person who does sports, and again, I can tell because they think I'm skinny and unsportslike. I also try and keep up with fashion and things, but I get very self conscious about wearing shorts because of my legs. I wore three quarter lengths to school once on a non-uniform day and I had people laughing behind my back as I walked along and I heard one of them mention legs. I'm not super skinny down to bone, but I'm definitely not chubby or really muscley in any way, but I just feel so embarrassed and it effects my personality and social life especially with girls, I am scared to flirt with a girl or talk because I just see myself in their eyes as some skinny freak.
Going back to sports again, I am in division one next season (the top group) and it's going to be ten times more physical. I am just worrying about it because I feel I let the team down because I'm not as tough as them. At school in rugby people also laugh and say "pass the ball to Toby, he'll smash through them" and I just have to laugh and go with the joke every time. But on top of all that, I've got my GCSE's and loads of school work and my life is just full of pressure, stress and depression. There are loads of other things I hate too, but this post would go on for ages if I said it all.
Anyway, thanks for reading.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper yor
|

replied August 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi, so do u or do u not know that this is all in your head?
size has nothing to do with anything; look at Tom Cruise, did u realize he is very small?

are u required to play sports and if not why bother?

when u see someone with big feet or big head or large ears don't u naturally do what u claim others do to u? why do I ask this? because it is just natural and is not meant to harm u. that part is all in your head.

so here is something u can do; TM transandental meditation; learn it and practice it and see if most of your insecurities don't go away.

good luck to u and don't give up as u have everything to gain.
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2011
My friend has the same problem, and based on what he's told me and I've seen, I can tell you this...

There will always be people bothering you or making fun of you, but they're not worth your time or worries. Because you just need to relax. Relax, be yourself, and live life. The rest will fall into place - and if you can learn to like yourself, the girls will notice. Trust me, we love confident guys. Not vain or prideful, but confident.

So just coach yourself everyday - encourage youself to be more comfortable and confident about who you are.

That's all anyone can ever expect you to be in the end. Yourself. And if they don't like it well screw them I say.

I know it's not the most original advice in the world, but I mean it. Just go with the flow and be yourself - and the the right girl will pop up right under your nose.

And I can pretty much garantee that you'll have a major growth spurt in the next year or so. That's what happened to another friend of mine. He was short and scrawny, then the next school year he was tall and lean. Still pretty skinny, but the height compensated.

Also, don't listen to stupid girls who talk about arms. I mean seriously? They're just arms! Unless they're as thin as twigs - I highly doubt they're that bad.

So I guess what I'm saying is build up some confidence - go with the flow - be yourself - and screw all those haters! That's kind of how I live life and it's pretty good.

I know how it feels to be freakishly skinny - in middle school I purposefully wore bigger sizes because I didn't like tight shirts. You could see the outline of my ribs through them! It was gross and I hated it.

But just try to relax and live life man, 'cause you sound like a nice guy and you deserve it. Good luck!

(Hope I was a little helpful!)
|

replied August 21st, 2011
Re: 15 years old, I hate myself because I'm skinny.
I can identify with your situation. I was a skinny kid... 130 lbs/59 kg and stayed that way until I was in my 30's. If it helps any, it got better for me as I got older. Self acceptance is key... difficult but key. Find out what your good at and pursue it... in other words, find and focus on your strengths. I know it seems like it sucks that you aren't one of the guys that are larger and get more attention from the girls but it is what it is.

If you hate yourself then how could you possibly expect people to like you? I would venture that you don't literally hate yourself, you are disappointed because of the hand you were dealt. Unfortunately, life isn't fair. It just isn't. It's how you handle your situation that's going to determine whether or not you are happy or miserable. The choice is yours.

If you learn to like yourself then to love yourself, you'll attract people, girls included. Best of luck... hang in there.

Remember, 100 years from now it won't make a damn bit of difference.

Tobymc wrote:
I'm a 15 year old normal kid and I really can't stand my own life. I don't want to go into too much detail because I'm sure people don't want to read pages and pages but I hate myself simply because I'm skinny. At my age a big part of life is enjoying being young, having girlfriends, going to parties with mates etc. But I cannot enjoy that because I hate that I'm skinny. My parents would just say to ignore it and they say that nobody even notices but they do, at school we are forced to play Rugby and I literally despise it because everyone else is just ten times bigger and stronger than me and I feel embarrassed and I just want it to end. I have had girls comment that my arms are thin and I haven't actually had a girlfriend or anything whilst at secondary school, and I can tell that it is because I'm not the big, hench bad boy of the class. I have also been playing football at a club since I was 8, the people who play in my team now are quite popular in my year group. I have talked to people about the fact that I play football and they've seemed surprised, I then ask why and they say that I don't look like the sort of person who does sports, and again, I can tell because they think I'm skinny and unsportslike. I also try and keep up with fashion and things, but I get very self conscious about wearing shorts because of my legs. I wore three quarter lengths to school once on a non-uniform day and I had people laughing behind my back as I walked along and I heard one of them mention legs. I'm not super skinny down to bone, but I'm definitely not chubby or really muscley in any way, but I just feel so embarrassed and it effects my personality and social life especially with girls, I am scared to flirt with a girl or talk because I just see myself in their eyes as some skinny freak.
Going back to sports again, I am in division one next season (the top group) and it's going to be ten times more physical. I am just worrying about it because I feel I let the team down because I'm not as tough as them. At school in rugby people also laugh and say "pass the ball to Toby, he'll smash through them" and I just have to laugh and go with the joke every time. But on top of all that, I've got my GCSE's and loads of school work and my life is just full of pressure, stress and depression. There are loads of other things I hate too, but this post would go on for ages if I said it all.
Anyway, thanks for reading.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
here is a couple of things that skinny boys can do;
PUSH UPS but spread the arms as far apart as possible and u will feel the pain in your chest and THAT IS THE POINT; u may have heard of NO PAIN NO GAIN well this is what they r talking about so start with what ever number u can do and extend it each time NOW ONLY DO THIS EVERY OTHER DAY the reason is when u push your muscles BEYOND their point of comfort and it hurts what u r doing is forcing GLYCOGEN out of the muscle and THE MUSCLE SAYS TO ITSELF; I DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH so this is why u give a day to rest and let the muscle add MORE and then u come back and do it again and so on and in a month u will see a larger chest if that is what u want
NOW u can do this with all your muscles IT WILL NOT MAKE U GROW TALLER BUT IT WILL BUILD ANY MUSCLE U WANT
|

replied April 30th, 2012
well guys, i'm 13 year old girl, just like u all. no one loves me but i don't know why do i care for every 1. i tried to sucide more than 5 times but i'm always unsuccessful. i reallly hate my life. i love some 1 and he prposd me but i don't know y he's not reating me the way he should. my brother hates me as he's always humilating me. i'm bad in studies but i try sooo much but what can i do if my life doesn't changes. i dreamt alot for my parents but now i think it's useless as no 1 cares for my feelings. i reallly wanna go 2 a place with the person i love the mst and cry on his shoulder and tell everything that i think. i'm very confident girl but as no 1 appreciates me i'm loosing all of it. i don't think that i deserve this world as i m not very obedient i hate my life...!!!!! i just want a person who can listen 2 me whole day and understand want i want. i think that there's no such person... sooo pleaxxx do me a favour, just give me the easiest way for sucide!!!!!
|

replied May 19th, 2012
Don't you have much more to do in life.
|

replied May 19th, 2012
I have the opposite problem, i hate myself because i'm a little bigger than some people, and no matter what i do i can't lose weight. I'd Rather be skinny, than being "fat"..i'd trade this life for being a little thinner.I actually cry..and i'm the kinda guy that you don't expect to cry over things like this, i'm 15 1/2 aswell..
|

replied June 1st, 2013
I am a skinny guy. But I work hard. I was a sad mess just a few months ago: I'd cry every night before going to sleep. I won't specify reasons, but a part of it was because I hated myself.

But complaining about life never got anyone anywhere. My dad is my primary example. I've seen pictures of him as a 14 and 15-year-old teen. Boy, was he skinny! That didn't stop him from taking the Poland under-16s Kyokushin title for his borough, though (and trust me, at this time in Poland the Kyokushin wasn't the same watered-down crap you find in most gyms today). Unfortunately, he was hit by a car and had to stop doing karate. Nevertheless, even though his leg was injured and he couldn't kick, he took up boxing and after several years of training he even had a shot at a proffessional boxing career. He backed out though, because he was worried about the brutality of the sport and he wanted to start a family, etc.

Anyway, point made: hard work will get you out of the situation you're in. I'm 15 and I am pretty skinny but I know many would put bets on me in a fight over people a good 10 kilos heavier than me.

By the way, I'm 183cm, 64kg and 15 years old so quite skinny. Wink
I feel you buddy. I've suffered the same problems as you at times, but I'm climbing out of that hole with hard work.
|