Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

12-13 years no AIDS symptoms ????

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I read a post underneath by a doctor about AIDS developing in untreated individuals between 10-15 years max....I am just wondering if before AIDS occurs in this 5-year window period, what hiv symptoms would someone have? I'm sure after 13 years with no symptoms I can feel confident that I would test negative?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Some people have zero symptoms until the HIV becomes full blown AIDS and they get many symptoms at once.Never take for granted that just because you feel good,you are HIV free...Get tested even if you feel great and have experienced no symptoms...I had no symptoms for over a decade and BAM!..when I got sick it almost killed me.
|
Users who thank homerx for this post: Muthoni 

replied March 21st, 2009
Homerx
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info...
Would you say it is "the norm" though to experience some symptoms by years 12-13? I will get tested... however, I do believe from what I understand about the disease that it is unusual to go for years after a decade without having any symptoms? From what I read, hiv usually turns to aids within 8-10 years? Take Good Care Smile
|
Users who thank valet99 for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Its different for every single person...that's one of the things that make it so dangerous.
I had a friend who had 3 lovers die from AIDS and he was never ever sick...still has never been sick BUT he carries the virus and infected his boy friends with it and even though he never got AIDS and never has been ill,he carries the HIV/AIDS virus...its scary...do get tested just to be safe and sure...good luck to you..
|

replied March 21st, 2009
Wow, that's incredible. I'm so sorry to hear that. That must be really hard for your friend to deal with...I stilllll believe though that it's not the norm to go 12-13 years and not know it. I'm not disputing, it does happen, but from medical research, it doesn't sound like that's usually the course of the disease?
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
From AVERT
read it here
http://www.avert.org/aids.htm

Without drug treatment, HIV infection usually progresses to AIDS in an average of ten years. This average, though, is based on a person having a reasonable diet. Someone who is malnourished may well progress to AIDS and death more rapidly.

Antiretroviral medication can prolong the time between HIV infection and the onset of AIDS. Modern combination therapy is highly effective and, theoretically, someone with HIV can live for a long time before it becomes AIDS. These medicines, however, are not widely available in many poor countries around the world, and millions of people who cannot access medication continue to die.
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Thanks- that's a great website.
take care buddy xo
|
Users who thank valet99 for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2009
Supporter
The norm is 7-10 years without symptoms. But this may change from person to person or country to country.

Muthoni (Mson)
curtsey
|
Users who thank Muthoni for this post: homerx 

replied February 5th, 2011
I POSTED: NO SYMPTOMS OF AIDS IN 12 YEARS, CAN I STILL GET IT?" I MIGHT ADD THAT I HAVE NOT HAD SEX IN 12 YEARS EITHER. TRUE!!! NOT BECAUSE OF CONCERN BUT OTHER REASONS. SO IN THAT CASE, WHAT IS THE POSSIBLITY OF DEVELOPING AIDS?
|

replied June 19th, 2011
I need a friendly advice
I will like for someone to reply to me asap
My name is surey and I need advice I went to my moms doctors appoitment she has alot of issues she has kidney failure besides the point my mom when I went to the her appt the nurse said she tested postive last year
I asked her she denied it front of the nurse she is hiding it is hurting me she is not honest. she encountered that her boyfriend recently died. should i ask her again to be honest or leave it alone?
|