Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

4 year old with frequent fevers?

HI!

I wanted to know if anyone out there knew about frequent fevers in children. My daughter is four years old. Starting November 2010 (now it is July 2011) , she began having high fevers ( up to 104.7) every 2-4 weeks. The fever lasts for around 7 days before it completely resolves. I have to give her Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours alternating to keep the fever under control on some days; and even that doesn't always work. We've taken her into the doctor to get looked and on some of the fever episodes and they found no origin for the fever, no infections. She is completely healthy and fever free in between the episodes.

So far, we have had a blood test taken and had a visit to the Rheumatologist. She does not know what is causing the symptoms. The blood test shows that is unlikely to be an autoimmune disease like lupus or juvenille rheumatoid arthritis. My daughter does not fit into any of the Periodic Fever Syndrome categories and gets them too frequently and too long to qualify for that diagnosis.

The doctor wants to think things through and discuss with the primary doctor before running a slew of painful or scary test on my daughter. I 100% agree with that philosophy, but in the meantime, I hate seeing her go through this and giving soooo much medication.

Has anyone heard of these kinds of symptoms. Are there any non traditional methods of controlling fevers?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

There are a no of causes of fever in a young child. Some of the important causes for recurrent fevers include bronchiolitis, colds, gastroenteritis, and urinary infections.

Occurances of repeat infections within a short time limit, could be associated with disorders of immunity, with defective antibody production.

You might consult a immunologist who can do tests for immune functions of the blood cells. This might give a clue to the possible cause of such fevers.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.