Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

2 year old with fever of 105 ?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
my neice has a fever of 105. it started out at 101, and it keeps getting worse. it'll go down and then shoot back up. she has runny nose,stomach ache,headache and the high fever. also my sister said she has faint purple dots around her eyes? if her fever goes up anymore this could turn out very bad. weve taken her too the hospital and they said its a viral infection, but i do not think so. they said not to bring her in again? shes taking tylenol and its not helping. there is 3 month old baby in the house with her and he is starting to throw up,somebody please help us!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 15th, 2010
Get that child back to the emergency room ASAP if the fever gets that high again. Call her physician immediately and get his approval. When a fever gets that high, you don't want to fool around as it can cause seizures. Sometimes children's Motrin with the Tylenol works when the Tylenol alone doesn't. Give correct dosage. You can try and reduce the fever with a luke warm bath. LUKEWARM is a must. Good luck and God bless. Lots of different flus going around.
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I agree with bluediamond2...Like the above poster said, in meantime try to reduce the temperature by giving her lukewarm baths...This has always helped me reduce the temperature of my children when they were young...For some reason hospitals do not take a high temperature as serious as we did years ago...

Caroline
|

replied January 17th, 2010
Experienced User
how long has she had it? Rule of thumb is if its been 3 days or more then take them in. MD's are finding out that kids can handle high temps for short periods of time. If its viral (swine flu?) it has to run its course and there really isn't a lot the ER can do aside from give tylenol/motrin and possibly IV fluids if she isn't keeping anything down and they suspect dehydration. The reason they ask you not to bring her back is the possibility of transmitting the virus to everyone else.

I suggest alternating tylenol and motrin every two hours for 48 hours if needed. Baths will help control the fever and generally make her more comfortable. Encourage lots of fluids. Pedialite in small amounts every couple of hours will help stave off dehydration but make sure she gets lots of water and other fluids as well. If she doesn't start feeling better within three days call the doctors office and explain to them what is going on with her. They may ask you to bring her in to the doctors office but they will be prepared for her IE: not make you sit in the waiting room where she could contaminate others. They can administer IV fluids right in the office if needed and determine what other treatments might be needed.
|