Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

36 year old with 7 cardio risk

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
I am a 36 year old with a cardiovascular risk of 7. I’m not sure what that means but I do know my Doctor said I could have a heart attack soon if I didn’t take the medications and change my life. I have been in back pain for years. I have disks that are bulging in my neck and had surgery on my lower back. I’m not very active despite the 5 children I have. I’m very scared and want to change. I want to see my children grow up and be around for grandchildren. Here are my questions: What kind of exercise do I need to do? Is there someplace I can find a diet that’s right for me? What can I do to lower my blood pressure and cholesterol safely? I don’t like taking the 4 medications. Any help would be great.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Firstly, you should consult a doctor (preferably a few different doctors in order to ensure you don't get the wrong answer) before proceeding to do any life style changes when you are at risk of endangering your life.

I know not what your conditions are, your overall health otherwise (current height, weight, diet, etc), and your history of exercise, familial disorders, etc. Thus, it is best for you to consult a doctor who knows your conditions to tell you if it is safe to begin exercising.

Based on what you are telling me now, I'm under the assumption that you are considerably overweight, and have multiple health factors. Thus, if the doctors say it is ok for you to exercise, I would have to say you must do it with a great deal of patience and moderation. Exerting yourself too much the first time around could likely trigger the very issues you are trying to avoid.

Would you mind telling me your weight, height, what you usually eat per day and how much, what is your history of exercise (as in, did you ever used to exercise, if so when, how long ago was it, how regular was it), what is your current life style (what is your job, what do you typically do all day, etc), and if there are other medical factors other than your disks and lower back surgery.

Weight training, or even most cardio exercises right off the bat seems to be no can do considering your back problem.

All in all, I strongly urge you to consult MULTIPLE doctors for their opinions on the medication, and what are you limited to doing physically, etc. I emphasize this point because I fear that if you are in a state of panic and desperation, you will try TOO hard to change TOO fast, which can cause you more problems. Please let us know what they say.

P.S. If the doctors say it is ok for you to exercise, and you pick up a personal trainer, make sure they are certified (many gyms hire uncertified trainers who just know a few things because they have amazing physicality), and also make sure that the personal trainer is fully aware of all your conditions.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
I am 5ft 7in. 195lbs. I know my body and my build. A target weight would be 160lbs. I was very athletic about 7yrs ago. I then started having health problems. I have always had high cholesterol. My eating habits were bad I know. I have now started on a balanced diet and eat 3times a day with healthy snacks. I really was not active. I don't work due to the back pain. Thank you so much for your advise and I will try to find more doctors to compare. It's so hard being from a very small town and far from any large cities. I have been taking the lipitor and It makes me so sick. I hope that there is another one they can give me that will be much better. I know its going to take a while to get on track.
|