Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

14year old with a painful lump under armpit

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
Hey, I am a 14 year old girl and I found a lump under my armpit, at first I thought it was just irritated because my bra kept sliding up and scratching my armpit. But then it kept coming back. It was painful, I can't even move my arm with it hurting. I told my mom to make a doctors appointment and she keeps pushing it back to fit her schedule. So I am sooo anxious to know. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?. Cause it doesnt really help that I'm reading about cancer. I was up all night crying cause I didn't want cancer. So, help me and pray and give me some answers. PLEASE I AM TERRIFIED!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Bandbabii,

The chance of it being cancer is very, very small. It is much more likely to be a cyst or a localized infection. There are several types of cysts that can form in the axilla, such as an epidermal inclusion cyst or a sebaceous cyst. It is also quite common to get an infection in one of the hair follicles in the armpit.

While you are waiting to see the doctor, you can try applying hot compresses to the lump. You may not want to shave, just until you see the doctor.

So, try not to worry too much. Cancer would be very rare.
|
Did you find this post helpful?