Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

56 year old nothing has scared me like this seizure.

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Hi All... I am a 56 year old single woman. Six days ago while walking my dogs I experienced a seizure. I was unconscious for a while, when I came to I was looking up at 2 firemen and 2 EMT's who were working on me. I had no memory of who I was or where I was, but by the time they were putting me in the ambulance I started to recall. This is the first time I ever had a seizure and I am petrified! They did XRays and CT scans (with and without contrast) at the hospital and the only thing they found was that my Potassium was low so they gave me a couple pills to take. After returning home I was SO SORE I couldn't get out of bed for 5 days, and my mind is still a little fuzzy. I go to see the Neurologist in 2 days, and they told me he will likely order MRI and EEG. I am not allowed to take a bath or drive a car. Ironically I am already taking a couple medications that are prescribed for seizures. I am a Cancer survivor and suffer from other medical problems, but nothing has scared me like this seizure has. I am so afraid of having another seizure or even dying. I am afraid that the Dr. will not find out what caused this. Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2012
I have been an epileptic since I was 21, I understand the fear but try to stay strong cause one seizure doesn't mean epilepsy... some medications can cause seizures as can stress lack of sleep etc... SUDEP sudden unexplained death in Epilepsy doesn't happen often... until you know the possible cause please don't bathe or drive as this puts you and others at risk... once you r freed to go back to your regular activities try not to stress... good luck:)
|
Did you find this post helpful?