Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

21 year old Heart palpatations shortness of breath fatigue

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
I am 21 year old male and all of this started about 2 months about ago
I would also like to add that i am a recovering Alcoholic.
I also used to use Amphetamines regularly
As of recently i have started having heart palpatations that occur during running walking it feels almost as if my heart is fluttering and i am dizzy and lightheaded alot and very fatigued I also experience shortness of breath and fainty type feeling. The other day i went for a run and by the time i got back i was so dizzy and my heart was pounding so hard i thought i was going to pass out it took almost two hours for my heart rate to come down from 100 beats per minute to 75 were it usaully rest. I most also note my blood pressure is usaully 120/70 at rest

The other night was the weirdest tho i was just sitting watching tv when all the sudden a palpitation came on. my heart rate shot up to almost 160 beats per minute and i panicked i started to shake could barely breath and felt like i was going to faint. So i Called a Cab and went to my local ER. When i got there they were shocked at my pulse rate and took me back and did and EKG and sed that if the EKG showed an Arrhythmia they were going to put my into the Code blue section and Monitor my Condition. But just as surely as they ran the EKG my heart rate started to come down and they sed everything looked fine. They kept me anyway for about two hours gave me some medication and fluids tho an IV ran some blood and urine test and a CT/Scan and sent me home.

I have also noticed that during mild phisical activity such as walking i start to feel dizzy and lightheaded.
And after phisical activity my heartrate rest at 110 beats a minute for almost an hour.

Anyway I eventually went to my GP and she ran basic blood test and urine test checked my thyroid levels checked blood sugar for diabetes liver and kidneys levels and even for HIV/AIDS Syphilis and HEP A/B/C. And Everything came back Normal. She referred me to a Cardiologist

Later on that week i see a Cardiologist And he orders another EKG, A 24 holtor Monitor and an Echo cardiogram.
And to my surprise everything comes back completely normal even tho i experienced symptoms during the Holtor Monitor.

It has been almost a week since and i still expierience symptoms almost everyday. It has sucked the l;ife out of me and i am always super tired.

I have to also note the only medical conditions i suffer from are Acid Reflex disease, Asthma, Seasonal Allergies and Ulcers all of which i take medication for.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

-best-
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2012
There are some key points that you make in your history, and they include your young age, your being a recovering alchoholic, drug abuse in the past with amphetamine, palpitations, weakness, dizziness, faintness, slow recovery from a moderately rapid heart rate, and an episode of heart rate up to 160 beats per minute. Anxiety with rapid heart rates is usual. You also indicate that you have acid reflux, asthma, seasonal allergies and ulcer for which you take medications.
I don't have insight into your problem, though some of it may be emotional in origin. You don't describe your present habits, your history, family history, work situation, etc. I assume that the doctors found no abnormalities on physical examination. One wonders whether any of the medications you are presently taking could explain some of your symptoms. A cardiac origin for them seems to have been effectively ruled out. I would suggest that you check back with your family physician for further evaluation of your constellation of symptoms, which are certainly unusual for a young person of your age.
Please remember that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.