Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

2.5 year old , green liquid diarrhea

Must Read
Basic facts on diarrhea here, including the difference between acute and chronic diarrhea. Learn to identify each....
What causes diarrhea? We outline the most common causes of diarrhea (viruses, bacteria, and medications) and let you know when to seek medical help....
Learn how to prepare yourself when seeing a doctor for diarrhea. Know which medical exams and tests to expect, and also which questions to ask. Start here....
User Profile
Hi there! A week ago, my 2.5 year old had green, liquid diarrhea that eventually turned into green bowel movements. Today, I noticed a strange leafy, green discharge from his nose that came out in clumps (it looked similar to digested spinach and my son has not eaten spinach). Help! Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A16644
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the green nasal discharge from your toddler's nose.
The most likely possibility might be the common cold infection leading to greenish nasal discharge. It is caused by a few hundred different strains of different viruses, including strains of rhinovirus, parainfluenza virus, coronavirus, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), adenovirus, and influenza virus. The symptoms of the common cold include a runny nose with clear, yellow or green discharge, a cough, fever, sore throat and irritability. Symptoms usually last ten to fourteen days and will resolve on their own. Because the common cold is caused by viruses, antibiotics are not effective against it and they will not help you get better any faster.
You must consult your baby's paediatrician for definitive diagnosis as the same cannot made online
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.