Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

15 year old girl , always depressed , bipolar

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
hi i'm a 15 year old girl i'm always depressed angry or sad i tend to have allot of mood swings i use to self harm i feel like i'm alone in this world no1 listens to me when i try ask family members or friends for help they never listen i'm afraid if i carry on this way ill end up self harming again i've even got so angry i have hit my mum before i'm constantly arguing with friends i tend to forget things easy i sometimes have problems sleeping and end up staying up all night and sleeping all day i really need help what should i do ? my sister had bipolar do you think its possible i have the same i forgot to mention well i didnt think i should mention thi suntil i noticed some1 felt the same as me i am always paranoid about my boyfriend we agrue all teh time i usually cause it hes with me everyday day but yet im still paranoid im that bad i sometimes look out my window everytime hes out just to make sure hes not with some1 else im also a very nervous and i have lack of convidence

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2010
Bipolar Disorder Answer A15268
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Your concern seems to be about Bipolar disorder.
Bipolar disorder is characterised by unpredictable swings in mood from mania to depression. Mood fluctuations are chronic and should be present for at least 2 years before the diagnosis is made. During a manic episode, increased psychomotor activity, decreased need for sleep, impulsivity and impaired judgment are the main features. Signs and symptoms of the depressive phase of bipolar disorder include persistent feelings of sadness, anxiety, guilt, anger, isolation, or hopelessness; disturbances in sleep and appetite; fatigue and loss of interest in usually enjoyable activities; problems concentrating; loneliness, self-loathing, apathy or indifference; depersonalization.
Bipolar disorder usually starts in age group 20-30 years but many have premorbid symptoms in late childhood or early adolescence. Women are likely to have more depressive and men more manic episodes over a lifetime. As the depression is more evident from your history, you might fit the diagnosis of Bipolar II that can only be ascertained by your psychiatrist after a detailed history and analysis and the same cannot be made online. You need an urgent appointment with your psychiatrist who might like to analyse your case thoroughly and institute appropriate therapy.
Hope this helps your cause. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.