Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

35 year old female , tenderness of breast

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
I am a 35 yo female. I have been expierencing tenderness around the nipple and under my right breast for the past three weeks, i can not be ppregnat. I had a tubal ligation in 2003. I do get occasional tenderness when i start my period and thought thats what this was but it has not gone away. I have not called the dr because i dont want to go for something silly or unwarranted.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
Breasts Answer A14400
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. There are a number of causes of the pain in the nipple and breast. It can possibly be due to Fibrocystic breast disease, Premenstrual syndrome, cyclic mastalgia, Normal hormonal fluctuations, Pregnancy, Chest wall tenderness (costochondritis), Injury to the breast (trauma, after breast surgery), Shingles (pain is only in 1 breast, usually accompanied by a rash), An infection in the breast (breast abscess, mastitis) or Breast cancer.

You’ll need to undergo a physical examination along with certain investigations like a mammogram, USG of breast or an MRI of the breast to know the exact underlying cause. The treatment will depend on the diagnosis. Please do consult a breast surgeon for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.