Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

2 1/2 year old complains of stomach pain gets constipated

User Profile
hi my 2 1/2 year old son complains of stomach pain around the navel, mostly after he has eaten! some days it gets so bad that he either falls asleep at random times or complains of his bottom hurting! he gets constipated with bowl movements every other day and also complains that his eyes nose and head hurt, he looses his colour and goes very white and grey! the other day he had an episode so strong that it made him violently sick with a head that hurt along with his ear, but was fine after a sleep and a few pieces of bread! This all started around september (2011) time and he had lose stools up untill the other week! iv been to the drs time and time again but they keep telling me its viral! but it dosnt seem to be to me! its been constaint some days he copes fine with it all but other days hes wiped out and has to rest! please give me some answers as to where to start helping him over this i just want him fighting fit as it breaks my heart :( he also has had his stools looked at along with his urine and bloods (witch urine had protine in it and blood had a hight white blood cell count) he also can go a whole day with out weeing !!! does this sound viral to you ( i dont want to sit hear worrying it could be life threatening) :( please help xx

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2012
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A33662
Welcome to e health forum.

Stomach ache or chest discomfort, particularly after meals is a classic indicator of Gastroesophageal reflux disorder. The reflux of acidic gastric contents from the stomach into the esophagus is the cause of the symptoms.

You can follow some of the measures suggested including -

1. Raise the head end of the child’s bed about 30 degrees and have the child eat smaller, more frequent meals instead of large amounts of food at one sitting.

2. Avoid eating right before they go to bed or lie down; let two or three hours pass. Try a walk or warm bath or even a few minutes on the toilet.

3. Pay attention to what your child eats. Fried foods and spicy foods should be avoided.

You might consult with a pediatrician who can prescribe appropriate medications to reduce the acid secretion and help reduce the symptoms of your kid.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.