Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

20 year old brother , no motivation

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
I would like your advice on my brother. He is 20 years old. He is very smart and did well in his first year of college. However, he failed out of his university and is now attending community college. He has the ability to succeed and do well, but he has no motivation to do so. His grades are up and down from being on the dean's list to failing classes. He is capable of passing, but he just doesn't put forth the effort. As you might guess he is very unhappy. He says he wants to succeed but he just can't find the motivation. He claims that he is unhappy in life but he is not depressed. I am worried that he is. The only time he seems to be happy is when he's with his friends. Is there a type of depression that goes along with these symptoms or does it just sound like he just going through a phase? Thanks for your help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2010
Depression Answer A15230
Thanks for using this forum....

Its complicated at his age and telling him directly will yield no results..he needs a good company as peer pressure is quite high at this stage..if he resolves to study he can do it...the motivation has to come from family and friends...indirect suggestions and counselling can be used,even a help of psychiatrist can be taken...i think he will gradually improve...

take care\

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.