Medical Questions > Parenting > Preschool Kids Forum

4.5 year has the "I have to pee" grab on his penis all

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Hi,
For the last 2 weeks, my 4.5yrs old son has been constantly squeezing and scratching his penis, through his pants, all day long. It looks just like the "I have to pee" grab, but he says he doesn't have to pee and that it's not itchy. I've had a look during bathtime; all looks well. Nothing red, swollen, etc. I thought maybe this is just the beginning of masturbation, but he says it tickles but doesn't feel good. However, he says it doesn't hurt, either, that it just tickles. He is uncircumcised and has long foreskin that hangs down about 1cm past the head. I've tried bigger underwear, no underwear etc, but there is no change. I'm not mentioning it to him as I don't want him to be uncomfortable about touching himself, but I would like to understand if there is some kind of common problem that I should help with. I appreciate your thoughts.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rosanna73
|

replied March 1st, 2011
Im having the same exact problem with my three year old except he says it hurts him. The doctor says its not a uti or yeast infection, but that he has meatalstenosis. I think the doctor is wrong considering the symptoms dont apply. If you fond out please let me know!
|

replied August 1st, 2011
Same issue
I'm having the same problem w/my 5 year old boy. I was checking Internet before taking him into see his doctor. Has anyone found an answer to this? My brothers claim it's an adjustment period that all boys go through but I don't notice other boys doing this?
|

replied March 17th, 2012
Same issue
My 5 year old son is having same problem wanna know is there any aolutionn
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
Even babies and young boys can have an erection sometimes. I don't remember having any at that age but a customer used to visit with her pre-school son and he was often sporting an erection...
A friend commented how his three year old son would often have an early morning erection...

Perhaps your sons have experienced this and it has drawn their attention to it...
Young children often don't tell the truth and even if they do it is only their version of the truth which is difficult for adults to understand because even the most articulate of young children will have difficulty describing complex feelings or emotions...

I think this behaviour is related to the comfort blanket syndrome - sometimes men do not grow out of it as I have seen several who absent-mindedly stroke their penis through the trousers while having to concentrate on a subject or when deep in conversation...

My pre-school daughter would often stroke her vulva in the same way while watching tv. Reminding her she also liked to tickle her feet eventually broke the habit - or perhaps she grew up a little and dropped the habit naturally?

It might be curiosity and might have been triggered by contact with other chidren who might have described to each other something they have observed their parents doing or it might have been the usual case of kids of both sexes showing each other what they have and haven't...

OR it might be rooted in a mild soreness or irritation they are experiencing. I don't know when the best time is to begin instructing a boy in how to draw back his foreskin and clean behind it and most importantly to rinse all traces of soap away from that delicate skin but I do know this is a most neglected area of a boy's education, especially in single parent families, and failure to do so can cause agony for some in early teens and problems for future sexual partners...

Girls too aren't often taught to draw back the clitoral hood and clean away the gunk that can accumulate there!

I suggest you don't worry too much about this, especially if the doc says all is well. Attempt diversionary tactics or offer alternatives until the habit is broken...
|